Friday 6 April 2012

The project overview

I've set myself a two-year challenge of photographing and compiling identification guides to the plants that grow in North Hampshire, UK.  Last year I condensed down the standard UK plant keys from Clapham, Tutin and Warburg to include just the species that occur in North Hampshire.  I then had to add to these as there were a number of plants not included in that work.  I consulted the Botanical Society of the British Isles website which gives listings of species occurring and then edited the list taking out hybrids, casuals and the members of the large genera of dandelions, brambles and hawkweeds.  Having done this it left 1203 species.  In the last part of last year and the early part of this year I have photographed a total of 284 species. 

Today a short visit to Pamber Forest added Oxalis acetosella, Anemone nemorosa, Euphorbia amygdaloides, Viola reichenbachiana, (shown above) Ranunculus poeticus and Callitriche platycarpa.  This means the running total is now 290 species (just over 24%)

No comments:

Post a Comment